If you’re a bacon and egg pie fan missing the bacon in this iconic dish do I have a treat for you. Bacon flavoured Mushroom slices with backyard chicken eggs in vegetarian pastry. I wish so much there was some left over right now!
Add in a little spinach for extra iron and just all round gorgeousness.
Now to flavour the mushrooms with smoky deliciousness, my two secret weapons are smoked paprika and liquid smoke. Simply melt 50g butter in an oven dish. Whisk in 1/2 t liquid smoke, 1 t smoked paprika, 1 t garlic powder and 2 T soy sauce. It’s that easy!
Stir through the mushrooms and bake until crispy. Just gorgeous.
Separate the yolks and add them to the pastry for beautiful, golden organic yolks throughout the pie. Wilt the spinach, add the crispy mushrooms and the rest of the pie ingredients.
Bake that beauty and there you have it. I know it’s hard to feel how much the meaty texture of the mushrooms and stands in for bacon or how authentic the smokiness is from a photo, but you’ll just have to try it yourself to truly appreciate it.
Serve with a selection of your favourite sauces and you won’t miss the meat even a little bit.
Without further ado, here is the recipe:
- 300g/10.5oz button mushrooms
- ½ t liquid smoke
- 1 t smoked paprika
- 1 t garlic powder
- 2 T soy sauce
- 50g/1.5oz organic butter
- 1 packet of premade vegetarian pastry (homemade flaky pastry is well in the too hard basket).
- ½ dozen organic or backyard chicken eggs
- 2 C sliced spinach
- ¼ C milk
- ½ C cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200 Celcius. Melt the butter in a baking dish in the oven.
- Stir the liquid smoke, smoked paprika, garlic powder and soy sauce into the melted butter.
- Slice the mushrooms and stir into the smoke mix. Place the baking dish back in the oven.
- Chop the spinach and place it into a glass dish big enough to fit the rest of the fillings. Pour over a little boiling water, cover with a plate and wilt in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Cut the pastry to fit your favourite pie dish, you may need to roll it out a little. Line the bottom of the dish with half, leaving enough pastry for the lid.
- Separate the eggs, dropping the yolks on top of the pastry so each corner gets a whole yolk.
- Drain the spinach, mix in egg whites, cheese and mushrooms including any extra smoke mix.
- Pour the mixture over the egg yolks.
- Place the lid on the pie and brush with a little organic milk.
- Turn the oven down to 180 Celcius and bake for 25 minutes, or until it's golden and when you cut a tiny hole, there is no runny egg.